Tuesday 2 September 2014

PCSing

PCSing

I just wanted to talk some about PCSing; most will be about PCSing overseas as we are at our second base. PCSing to another military base can be stressful, especially overseas. We had about a 2 month notice of our report no later than date for our next base. We had wanted to PCS overseas to take advantage of the opportunity to have a unique experience and travel, and now it was really happening! Jacob called/woke me about 1:00am and told me the news. It took a little while for me to process, (1) because I was still partially asleep and (2) because I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Once it sunk in, I was awake! I started texting my friend, Holly, who was already in the UK, our good news! Next, I began pacing the house thinking what were we going to do with all our stuff. What should we take, what should we store, what to get rid of etc.. I was up all night, wanting to call family, but not wanting to wake them. Finally, I figured I couldn't wait any longer. It was very difficult to tell my family that we wouldn't be across a state line, but across an ocean. The time between leaving our old base and getting to our new flew by quickly.

After the initial excitement/daydream state wore off, PCSing became real and full of checklists, appointments, and things to. Depending on the time frame will depend on when certain things need to be done. With our situation, everything should have been done yesterday, last week, last month.

Passports

If PCSing overseas and you don't have a travel passport, get one! However, MPS on base will help get the "military" passport needed. If you have 2 months or less notice, get the passport expedited- the MPS office will tell you how (for your sponsor to do), but essentially it's a letter from the base and  Wing Commander (I believe, it's all a blur at this point). The passport doesn't come to your home, but to the base MPS office. Then they'll give directions to complete the VISA portion.

If PCSing to the UK, their website may still be "beta testing" and to expect delays in processing. Don't let this worry you too much (I say that now) we were told and proved true that the UK will get the VISA in time before you leave. The VISA will go to your home address- make sure you bring a PREPAID envelope to the MPS when bringing in the VISA application and documents.

Also, do NOT let the personnel at MPS talk down to you. I had the unfortunate experience to deal with a rude personnel. Per the suggested timeline, I needed to get my passport in ASAP. I went to MPS with what I thought I needed. I was only told that my passport could be expedited- did not know the process. The lady (civilian) I spoke with was rude, impersonal, and talked so fast. When I repeated what I needed to do back to her to make sure I heard correctly, she looked super annoyed, like I was wasting her time and basically told me when I come back to see the other MPF lady (which I ended up doing, she was a lot more helpful and courteous).

Dental and Health

Before PCSing overseas, spouses/dependents have to be medically (including dental) cleared. If you haven't had a check up for dental or health, start making appointments! There will be a medical check-out that is mandatory for spouses/dependents. Barksdale's were on Fridays ONLY so be sure to make Fridays open.

Spouses/dependents will need to be signed off by a dentist on the condition of the teeth. The dentist rate teeth on a scale of 1-4 with 1 and 2 being accepted. If a 3-4, all work must be completed to render teeth a 1 or 2 before being medically cleared. Depending on the base, if initially teeth are a 3 or 4, but appointments are set up to correct problems, medical may still clear the spouse.

Medical screening is relatively easy, or at least for me it was. I made my appointment, the doctor took my blood pressure, temp, and looked in my ears. Then they asked if I had any medical concerns/conditions. The answer is always "NO" right?! They will look at your chart to see your history and ask about it if they render it a concern. Although, if there is a serious problem, they need to know. 

There is a "myth" (and I say myth because I've only heard stories/rumors) that if the sponsor or any dependent is asthmatic then they will never be stationed/cleared to go overseas. From the orientation briefings I've been to, that's not the case. Some overseas areas just have higher risks- England has more mold because of it's constant rain, the desert because of sand or what have you. 

Paperwork

Most of the paperwork falls into the medical and dental. Some is just for the sponsor and some for sponsor and dependents. This is the easy part!

Pets 

I thought taking our German Shepherd was going to be the easiest part of moving overseas, but I was wrong. To get our dog through customs, we had to have him microchipped, documents for vet certified, rabies vac, annex ll customs, and a UK customs filled out, and administer a worming pill (a minimum  of 24 hrs before traveling, but he had to be there within 5 days of receiving). 

Getting him microchipped and up-to-date vaccinations were easy. I recommend using the on base veterinary (and it's mandatory to ensure the dog won't have to be quarantined). The base vet provided most of the forms but the UK customs form. 

Not all airplanes are equal. Not all airlines fly pets, and those that do may not fly pets overseas. We couldn't pay for his ticket until we arrived at the airport; he just had a reservation on our flight. We used United airlines; however, our dog, because of his size, couldn't fly on just any plane. For instance, he could fly the 767, but not the 737. 

We also enlisted the help of a kennel place in the UK that would pick us and our dog from the airport and drop us off at base and keep our dog until we got our new place. The place our dog was kenneled was the Silver Birch Kennel and Cattery. The owner Dean Faulkner was great! 

TMO 

TMO was the easiest part of moving overseas for me. After moving what we wanted to store, I didn't worry about packing. The people that came to pack our stuff did an excellent job (I say this even though we haven't received our stuff yet). From what I witnessed, they took care of wrapping and packaging our belongings. They were even patient and listened to my concerns and suggestions. One does not realize the amout of stuff one accumulates until one has to move! 

No comments:

Post a Comment